Get to know your elected CCU Officials
Joseph (Joey) T. Duenas
Chairman of the Board Since 2015January 2009 – December 2016
CCU Secretary 2013-2016
More than twenty-five years of successful experience as a business professsional, including substantial experience in both the private and public sector.
- 2003-2006 Finance Officer, Archdiocese of Agana
- 2001-2003 Business Consultant
- 1995-2001 Director, Dept. of Revenue & Taxation, Govt. Guam
- 1984-1995 President, Duenas Inc. / J.D. Investments Inc.
- 1983-1984 President, Guam Housing Corporation, Govt. Guam
- 1971 – B.A. Business Managment, Chaminade University of Honolulu, Honlulu, Hawaii
- 1967 – Diploma, Fr. Duenas Memorial High School, Tai, Guam
- 2009-2012 CCU Treasurer
- 1998-2000 Vice-Chairman, Chairman, Guam Election Commission
- 1985-1994 Chairman, Public Utilities Commission
- 1979-1981 Chairman, Board of Directors, American Red Cross
- 1978-1982 Vice-Chair, Board of Trustees, Guam Community College
- Past President, Rotary Club of Guam
Francis E. Santos
Vice Chairman of the BoardFrancis is the youngest and newest of the elected commissioners.
With over 25 years of experience in the private and public sectors, specializing in health insurance and business management. He now works as a consultant for healthcare and business related projects. He was formerly the CFO for GRMC, Guam’s newest private hospital as CFO. He served as Plan Administrator for StayWell Health Plan and President/CEO of Island Home Insurance Company.
Following the legacy of his late father, Senator Frank Santos, Francis also served 3 terms as a Senator. Recent appointments include serving as Chairman, Guam Education Policy Board.
Currently involved in business ventures which include Guam’s second public charter school, iLearn Academy Charter School serving as Chairman of the Board and member/director of Global Health Systems which specializes in wound care and hyperbaric medicine.
Francis holds a Master of Business Administration in Health Care Administration from Loma Linda University. He has a Bachelor of Science Degree in Business Management from Seattle University. Francis is a graduate of Father Duenas Memorial School, Class of 1975
J. George Bamba
Chairman of IT and Cyber Security Committee, SecretaryElected to serve on the Consolidated Commission on Utilities (CCU) in the November 7th, 2014 General Election. Serves as an officer of the CCU and is Chairman of the CCU IT/Cybersecurity Committee. The only person to serve as Chief of Staff to two Governor’s of Guam (Paul M. Calvo and Felix P. Camacho). Also served as Senator in the Guam Legislature for 10 years becoming the only person whose parents were both elected to the Guam Legislature.
He also was Chairman of numerous Boards and Commissions while serving in the Executive Branch. He also served as the Council of State Governments Committee on Economic Development and International Affairs.
Commissioner Judith “Judi” T. Guthertz
TreasurerFondly known as “Dr. J” by thousands of University of Guam (UOG) students and graduates, Dr. Guthertz was raised on Guam from her infancy by post-war Guam business pioneers Harry & Josephine Guthertz. Dr. Guthertz is a product of the Guam school system; she started school in Kindergarten at Wettengel Elementary and graduated from the Academy of Our Lady of Guam. She did her undergraduate and graduate higher education studies on scholarships as a foreign student at the University of the Philippines where she obtained a BA in Speech and Communications, an MA in Mass Communications, a Master’s in Public Administration and a Doctorate in Public Administration and Public Policy. Senator Guthertz served three terms as a Senator in the Guam Legislature. During the 2013-2016 academic terms, Dr. Guthertz served in the trenches of the Guam Public School System (GPSS) at Untalan Middle School as a certified ESL/Social Studies teacher and as an Adjunct Professor at UOG and Guam Community College (GCC). She is also a former board member for the Guam Visitors Bureau and has been focusing on initiatives to safeguard tourists visiting Guam. Dr. Guthertz continues to assist the University of Guam as an Adjunct Professor of Public Administration and Legal Studies.
- Senator, 29th, 30th and 31st Guam Legislature;
- Vice President of Academic Affairs, University of Guam;
- Professor & Chairperson, Public Administration & Legal Studies, University of Guam;
- Chairperson, Western Pacific Regional Fishery Management Council;
- Police Chief (Acting) Guam Police Department;
- Director of Public Safety, US Territory of Guam;
- Graduate, FBI Executive Development Institute for Chief of Police;
- Graduate, Guam Police Academy/Basic Law Enforcement (Reserve Cycle);
- Vice President, Guam Constitutional Convention;
- Public Information Officer, Guam U.S. Statehood Task Force;
- Chairperson, Guam Organic Act Commemoration Task Force;
- Chairperson, Government of Guam Executive Branch Reorganization Commission;
- Chairperson, Advisory Panel, Western Pacific Fishery Management Council;
- Public School Teacher, Guam Department of Education
Simon A. Sanchez II
- Vice President/General Manager. Guam Dry Cleaners
- Director, Oka Pacific, Inc. (Equipment Distributor)
- Director, Our Lady of Peace Memorial Park
- Shareholder, Guahan Waste Control
- Chairman, Consolidated Commission on Utilities (CCU) (2003-2014)
Oversees Guam’s power and water utilities
- Senator, 25th Guam Legislature (1999-2000). Chairman, Committee on Health
- Former Board member: Guam Chamber of Commerce, Guam Visitors Bureau, Guam Hotel & Restaurant Association, Guam Memorial Hospital
- Education: Father Duenas High School
- B.A (History) Stanford University
- Masters (Urban Planning) Harvard University
Mr. Sanchez is the former Chairman of Guam’s Consolidated Commission on Utilities (CCU), an elected board that oversees the operations of the Guam Power Authority (GPA) and the Guam Waterworks Authority (GWA). He has been elected four times and served as commission Chairman from 2003 to 20014.
He also is a long time Guam businessman involved in a number of businesses that provide services such as laundries, waste management, finance, real estate, consulting and equipment sales.
Mr. Sanchez also served as a Senator in the Guam Legislature and was an unsuccessful candidate for Lt. Governor. He has served in numerous government and civic boards including the Guam Chamber of Commerce, Guam Visitors Bureau, Guam Hotel & Restaurant Association, Guam Memorial Hospital, American Cancer and American Red Cross.
He has a Masters Degree in Planning from Harvard University and a BA in History from Stanford University.